Camping with your dog is an amazing bonding opportunity. As you explore the wilderness together, you get to share new experiences, hike, play, and curl up in your tent under the stars.
What is the best tent if you will be camping with your canine companion? In this guide, we’ll go over some important features to look for when comparing tents for dogs, and then we’ll recommend some top options on the market right now.
Please note that we’ll be focusing our guide on tents that you can share with your pet, rather than tents specifically (and exclusively) for dogs. Let’s begin.
Considerations When Choosing the Best Tent for Dogs
What makes a tent a suitable choice for camping with your dog? Here are some key features to look for:
- Rugged construction: You already know how adept dogs are at tearing up furnishings, pillows, and other things around your home. As you might expect, they are pretty good at destroying tents as well, even if they aren’t trying (tent floors can be particularly susceptible). So, invest in a tent featuring sturdy materials and construction (stitching, seams, etc.) which can handle your dog’s usual antics.
- Quick and easy to assemble: Trying to assemble a tent with a dog running around trying to get your attention can be a challenge, so the faster and easier the assembly process for a particular tent is, the better.
- Capacity: You could find yourself sleeping next to your dog in your tent whether or not it is your intent. So, make sure there is sufficient room for all humans and canines.
- Vestibules: Not only do vestibules help you to keep the tent clean, but they also provide a separate area for your pet to sleep. But again, even if this is your plan, just be aware that harsh weather or anxiety could send your dog into your area of the tent—so be prepared for that when selecting a size.
- Multiple entrances: It is easier to get in and out of your tent in an orderly fashion if you and your dog are not vying for a single entrance, especially if it is windy or raining and you are in a rush to get in.
- Easy to clean: Camping with a dog tends to be a proposition that involves a lot of dirt and mud, so invest in a tent which you can clean easily.
Now that you know what to look for in a tent for a dog, let’s go over some top recommended options.
Our Recommended Tents for Camping With Your Dog
Best Overall Tent for Dogs
The Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room is our top overall choice for camping with your dog. The tent comes in two sizes: 6-person or 8-person. It is made of sturdy polyester, and includes a screened-in porch/vestibule. Your purchase includes a carry bag for convenient transport and storage.
The high capacity of this tent makes it ideal even if you have a large canine companion sleeping in the interior. The center height is also 6 feet, so many users will be able to stand upright in the middle of the tent. It takes only around 15 minutes to set this tent up. Construction and materials are rugged and can stand up to wear and tear. With inverted seams and welded corners, the interior of the tent is waterproof. The screened porch measures 10 x 5 feet, providing lots of room for your pet. Your tent comes backed by a 1-year limited warranty.
While the screen keeps insects out of the porch and provides a basic barrier, rain can get through. So, if the weather gets bad, your dog will probably need to sleep next to you, not in the vestibule.
Best Easy Assembly Tent for Dogs
This dome tent, also by Coleman, is similar to our top overall choice. It comes in a single size (6-person), and was designed specifically for fast and easy assembly.
It only takes around 7 minutes to set this tent up, which can be super helpful if you have a needy dog trying to get you to feed him or play. The tent features a screened-off porch/vestibule where your dog can sleep if desired. The tent is made out of rugged Polyguard fabric which should stand up well to dogs. The interior is spacious enough that it should serve many campers’ needs even if a large dog needs to sleep inside the main compartment of the tent.
Once again, it is possible for rain and mud to end up in the porch, even with the screen. There are also some openings through which insects may achieve ingress.
Best High-Tech Tent for Dogs
If you bring electronic items with you while camping and/or are looking for some extra conveniences, the Coleman Elite WeatherMaster 6 Screened Tent may meet your needs. With its 6-person capacity, it offers plenty of room.
The tent is roomy and accommodating. There is a screened-off porch section for your pet. The polyester taffeta 75D used in the tent’s construction is durable. You won’t be stumbling around in the dark in this tent. It includes an LED lighting system. You can choose between three settings for brightness. Have electronic devices to plug in? E-Port is built into this tent.
You guessed it—rain can still get into the porch section. Some people take a while to set up this tent, even with multiple people working together.
The Right Tent Can Make Camping With Your Dog a Fun, Easy Experience
While a dog can make for a wonderful camping companion, there is no denying that a canine pal adds some logistical challenges to your camping setup. But with a camping tent which features sturdy materials and construction, vestibules, and fast assembly and cleaning, you can handle those challenges with ease so you can fully enjoy exploring the great outdoors with your dog!