Those who are in search of a top rated pop up canopy tent which offers a bit more shade than the average might want to consider the Coleman Instant Pop Up Canopy Tent. This tent features a typical square shape with a 13’ x 13’ canopy awning which extends out a bit past the 10’ x 10’ space between the poles.
In this review, we’ll check out the features, materials, durability, ease-of-use, and overall design of the tent in detail. Let’s get started by going over the specifications.
- 13’ x 13’
- 28mm steel frame
- 150D canopy tent
- 50+ UV Guard sun protection
- 2-way roof vents
- Carry bag included
Materials and Durability
The one-piece frame of the tent is made out of 28mm steel, which is reasonably sturdy under normal conditions and resistant to corrosion. The 150D polyester canopy also is rugged enough to stand up to light to moderate wind.
Be aware though that powerful gusts or high winds can easily compromise both the fabric and the supports. You should not have the tent erected in such conditions, and you should be careful even with moderate winds. How do you know how much wind is too much? The best recommendation is to play it safe. Get started by using the tent on days which are relatively windless, and work your way up to light winds. This should give you more of a feel for what the tent can tolerate. That way you are less likely to overestimate its ability to withstand moderate to strong gusts. We highly suggest purchasing some kind of accessory to keep the canopy firmly on the ground during windy conditions. Stakes, weight bags, or tie downs are typically the best option in doing this.
Why do some buyers say that a tent like this can withstand moderate gusts, but others say it cannot? Much depends on how effectively you stake your tent when you set it up, so take a few extra minutes if you need to in order to make sure that the tent is as secure as possible.
Transport and Setup
Like many competing products, this one comes with a carry bag which is compact enough that you can stow it inside your vehicle trunk. The bag has wheels as well, so you can pull it to your site and back with ease. There are some nice features involved with setup and the tent was designed so that you can set it up within just three minutes using a simple three-step process.
You never need to raise your arms above your head during setup, thanks to the way the telescoping poles were built. This may make it a good option for someone with shoulder, back or neck problems who cannot reach up high without worsening those issues, or for people unable to life weight over their head.
Another cool setup feature is a set of Comfort Grip push-button release levers that are proprietary to Colement. These prevent your fingers from getting pinched as you adjust your pop-up tent to your satisfaction.
Overall, the tent has an aesthetically pleasing appearance, especially with its hexagonal shape. The colors are a neutral ivory with a coffee-colored trim which the majority of buyers should find agreeable. The downside is that these are the only colors available, so there is no way to express your personality through your tent if you prefer something bold and bright.
Standout Features and Accessories
We’ve gone over most of the exciting features which make the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Canopy Tent a worthy purchase, but here are a couple more which add to its value.
- 2-way roof vents. These provide air circulation through the roof. Doing so increases comfort underneath the shelter while also offering much more stability. It is harder for the wind to grab the canopy from underneath and knock the tent off balance or rip the fabric.
- The poles are footed. This helps you to anchor them, also increasing the tent’s overall stability.
- The tent protects you from UV rays. With 50+ UV Guard sun protection, you are shielded from some of the damage of the rays streaming down from overhead. Don’t forget though that this is an open-sided tent, meaning sunlight is still striking you directly from the sides. Apply sunscreen as needed.
- Coleman is generally great at responding to inquiries from customers. The team is knowledgeable and friendly, with agents eager to help.
Pros of the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Canopy Tent:
- While the tent’s poles are spaced in such a way that the space underneath is 10’ x 10’, the shade actually extends to 13’ x 13’.
- Easy setup features protect your fingers and reduce strain on your neck, shoulders, and back as you are erecting the tent.
- Footed poles and canopy vents boost stability.
- Durable materials and rugged design can stand up to light to moderate winds.
- You are protected from harmful UV rays by your canopy tent.
- A wheeled carrying bag comes with your purchase for easy, convenient transport.
Cons of the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Canopy Tent:
- The only color option is the ivory with the coffee-colored trim.
- High winds or strong gusts will damage this pop-up canopy tent. That is pretty much expected with most canopy tents, however.
With Its More Expansive Shade and Its Easy Setup Features, the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Canopy Tent May Be Just What You Need
While the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Canopy Tent shares many features in common with other canopy tents in the same general price range, it does stand out in a few respects. Its hexagonal shape and wider canopy offer fuller shade. Its special easy setup features which keep fingers from being pinched while reducing back and neck tension make it not only simple to set up, but also stress-free. Its susceptibility to high winds isn’t a unique drawback among canopy tents—this is par the course. So the only other significant disadvantage is the lack of color choices. But if you like the ivory and coffee, you are good to go.
So if you are still in search of the ideal tent for home or vacation use, think about trying the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Canopy Tent. Its extra shade and ease-of-use make it an excellent option.